Thursday 21 November 2013

Day 4- A Day in the Life of an Inuit

17th June 2012
I spent my WHOLE day doing Inuit things:

7:30- I woke up with the sun bounding through the windows. It got a little darker last night but the northern lights appeared so it wasn't as dark as I had wished.
7:45- I finally got out of bed and 
it took all my energy, I knew today would be the day I would hunt my first seal.
8:00- I got dressed into my new clothes that I don't really like that much but I suppose it will have to do.
An example of a jacket I wore.
9:00- After having soup for breakfast we headed off. We snowmobiled for an hour across frozen sea to the floe edge, where the ice melts. It's a serenely beautiful landscape of icebergs, blue-tinted snow and patchy sea ice. The air is incredibly pure and the deep peace is slightly unnerving.

10:30-Tulugaak showed me how to make a spear and spear a seal he says he isn't going to pressure me into killing one but he would love to see me do it. I think I might then at least I can call it a life experience.


11:00- I finally killed a seal!!

12:00-We had some seal for lunch and I really enjoyed it. Tonight I am going to the oil rigs for a protest. FUN! And then we are going to take pictures of the northern lights and just sit and watch it. I can't believe I'm leaving tomorrow I don't want to leave I have become such good friends with Ataksak but especially Ataksak's brother Tulugaak, I have always got on better with boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment